My wife reminded me this morning about how important the simple things in life are.
She had a great day a few days ago because she really enjoyed her shower lol. She also spoke at length over breakfast this morning about how much better her day is if she has a pretty ribbon in her hair.
I’ve never tried ribbons in my hair, but the concept is sound.
I believe we are hardwired to get enjoyment out of simple things. Our ancestors for thousands of years would have gained pleasure from these things, so it would make sense that these things would be coded into our brains to enjoy, if we could only get out of our own way.
- The smell of roses or oriental lillies
- The taste of fresh, in season fruit
- Walking barefoot through grass
- Digging our toes into the sand at the beach
- Having a relaxing shower
- Enjoying a quiet cup of tea
- Spending time with family at a family lunch or barbeque
- Going for a long walk, hand in hand with our loved one
- Holding a sleeping baby
- Sharing the enthusiasm of a small child building their first sand castle
- Having a healthy debate with another open minded adult where both are mature enough to hear out and consider the other’s point of view
- Sitting upon a mountain watching the sunrise or sunset
- Going for a walk at dawn when the world is fresh and full of possibilities
- Changing plans on a whim, simply because the idea that popped into your mind is more exciting than what you’d planned
I love technology as much (ok, probably more) than most people, but sometimes we need to be reminded to take a step back, unplug and open our mind to those around us and the beauty of nature.
What are the simple things that revitalize you?